Leaders’ Summit Details and Schedule:
This year we will be offering two different online options for our Leaders’ Summit. The first is for new coaches to the league or Level 1/2 Coaches that did NOT attend the Leaders Summit in 2019. The second is for returning coaches that attended the Leaders Summit in 2019 and this will be specifically run for the Florida League. The first option is geared towards new coaches to the Florida League or those that did not attend the Leaders Summit last year in 2019. It will consist of 5 one hour sessions covering the following topics: Working with NICA Student Athletes, Coach Licensing and Registration, Starting and Managing a NICA Team, Risk Management and Safety Reporting, and the NICA Handbook. These sessions will be presented by NICA Coach Licensing Staff and are required to get your Level 3 Coach License or will count as CEUs to maintain your current Level 2 or 3. See below for information from NICA on the schedule for sessions and how to register: (For information on Option 2 – returning coaches that attended the Leaders Summit in 2019 – scroll down to Option 2)
The NICA Coach Licensing Staff is offering a round of live, online leader summit sessions so that you can get the necessary core requirements for your level 3 coach license or the continuing education units needed to maintain your current coach license. These sessions will be offered in September and October at varying dates and times to accommodate your busy schedules. Please see below for details about the online leader summit program:
- Online leader summits will be held live via Zoom video conference.
- Sessions will be presented by NICA Coach Licensing staff.
- They will consist of the 5 Core Required sessions to get your Coach License Level 3 or count as CEUs to maintain your current license level 2 or 3.
- Sessions will be offered in 5 one hour sessions on weekdays every other week. Times will stagger each week to accommodate your varying needs and different time zones
- OR— You can complete all 5 sessions in one 7 hour block (includes breaks) on a Saturday if you’d like to get them all done at once.
- Click on the following google calendar to see the full schedule of sessions. Sessions are in September and October. Click on a day for the link to registration.
- NICA Online Leader Summit Sessions Schedule
- Important note: The online google calendar will adjust to your time zone. Once you click on a registration link and are taken into the Zoom registration, the time is displayed in Eastern Time.
- Pre-registration is required to attend each online leader summit session:
- Registration links are available as a link in each session on the google calendar
- Basic Zoom accounts are free, but you do NOT need one to attend an online meeting. If you have one, feel free to use it if you want.
- Please use your full name when registering and logging in to all of your sessions, so we can properly give credit for participation.
- Each session will be limited to 100 participants on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- If you intend to participate with a group of coaches, please register individually so we can give you proper credit for attending.
- Once all 5 sessions are completed, you will automatically be sent an email with your certificate of completion. You can then upload your certificate to your PitZone profile.
- You don’t have to attend all 5 sessions to get CEU credits. You will still receive credit for the number of sessions you attended. Please email Mike McGarry at email@example.com when you’re finished with your sessions; he will email you a certificate for the CEUs based on the number of sessions you’ve attended.
- For example, you are a Level 2 coach and only need 3 CEUs. You can attend 3 of the hour-long weekday sessions as your schedule allows. Let Mike know via email and he’ll send you a certificate with 3 CEUs for you to upload in PitZone.
- Please direct all questions regarding this program to Jon Casson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We’re very excited to offer you this program and we hope it helps you get the required training and license you need in the absence of in-person Leader Summits. We thank you for your commitment to NICA and to the student-athletes who love riding bikes as much as you do. We hope you and your family are staying safe, staying active, and staying positive.
Option 2 – Returning Level 2 Coaches who attended the Leaders Summit in 2019.
Save the Date!! This option will be held on Saturday, September 12th via Zoom from 8:30 AM to 2:00 PM. Register HERE. This Leaders Summit will expand on what you learned last year and provide new, fresh information to help build team culture and prepare for Season Two, with all of it’s challenges. Sessions will include the following: Spring 2020 Safety Reporting and Background Check requirements, Establishing a Positive NICA Centered Team Culture, Introducing NICA Adventure (how to incorporate experiential activities and reflection), Goal Setting for Student-Athletes, and Practice Planning for COVID. These sessions will be interactive and we will have break out rooms so discussions and sharing can occur.
NICA On-The-Bike Skills (OTB) Training? Last season we were able to offer OTB 101 during our in person Leaders Summit in Gainesville after all class sessions were complete. OTB is a requirement to be a Level 2 Coach and to lead a practice ride. We will obviously not be able to hold this the same day as our Leaders Summit options as this needs to be completed in person. There will be OTB 101 classes offered later this year in November so please keep checking this page or our Facebook page for information. Again, this class is required for coaches to actually take students out on a trail. The intent of this training is to show participants a great example of a NICA practice involving skills instruction and a NICA short course for student athletes.